January 24, 2020 by vivalafiona
Travellers often ask me what they should pack in their luggage. Cuban shops tend to stock a very limited range of products, some locally made and others imported. US sanctions and the COVID-19 pandemic have affected the supply of both, so come prepared.
1.Toiletries – soap, deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, shavers, tampons, moisturiser etc
2. First aid kit- pain killers, antiseptic cream, bandaids, anti-histamine, antibiotics, scissors, tweezers, thermometer, rehydration tablets and any other medicines/vitamins you require.
3. Snacks – non perishable food, chocolate, sweets, nuts, muesli bars, biscuits, tea bags
4. Beach gear – sunscreen, insect repellant, beach towels or sarong, snorkel and goggles, sunglasses, swimming costume, hat,
5. Electronic accessories – 110-220V USA compliant adapters, battery chargers, batteries for camera, mobile phone etc
6. Books, magazines, playing cards, games.
7. Footwear that is sturdy and comfortable and suitable for hot and humid weather and a pair of thongs/flip flops for beach and rainy days.
8. Summer clothing, lightweight, light colours, underwear and a jacket if travelling on air conditioned buses.
9.Water bottle and water purifying tablets and/or a travellers electric kettle
10. Gifts especially school supplies: lead and coloured pencils, sharpeners, erasers, rulers, backpacks, rechargeable batteries, USB’s, bicycle pumps, flea and tick treatments for pets and any of the items listed 1-9 above, if you no longer require them.
Other recommendations/suggestions: umbrella, solar powered lantern, nappies/diapers and baby food if travelling with toddlers.